Bored with EMUI? Want to get taste of close to stock android on your huawei honor 4x? Huwei’s Emotion user interface have many useful features. I personally like its features. But after long time using it. I want to try cyanogenmod. To install Cyanogenmod , you need to install custom recovery like CWM or TWRP.
This guide is for snapdragon version of Huawei honor 4x(Che-L04).Before you begin, you need to make sure your phone have bootloader unlocked. If your phone’s bootloader is unlocked, then proceed further.
Things need to setup before proceeding further.
- Please note, link and support for Cyanogenmod 12.1 is stopped, Please refer to this link to download newer Cyanogenmod 13 based on Android marshmallow, LINK WILL BE UPDATED SOON
- Huawei honor 4x USB drivers. Install hisuite for automatic installing USB drivers.
- ADB minimal installed. Download and install ADB minimal from link here , adb fastboot minimal
- Download new TWRP for masrhmallow here
- Cyanogenmod have stopped their all support after shutting down cyanogenmod. Please follow this link to download newer Android 7.1 based Lineage OS from same developer Android 7.1 download
- Download GApps from given link. you can download any pack. I downloaded nano. Please choose ARM,7.1 while downloading from given link. 7.1 Gapps
Installing TWRP Recovery will not wipe your data. But i still recommend you to make backup of your data. Also make sure your phone’s battery is charged at least 50%.
Installing TWRP Recovery
- Rename downloaded TWRP image file to RECOVERY and place it in this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Connect your phone to PC and allow USB Debugging.
- Open installed ADB and Fastboot minimal and run following commands.
” adb devices”
If it shows unauthorized, then you need to allow for USB debugging on your phone. If it display your device, then type following commands
“adb reboot bootloader”
Your phone will boot into fastboot mode
type “fastboot devices”
“fastboot flash recovery RECOVERY.IMG”
Wait for few seconds to finish flashing recovery and type “fastboot reboot” . This will reboot your phone.
Now turn off your phone. Press and hold Power + volume up button. This should bring you to TWRP recovery.
- Copy downloaded Cyanogenmod zip and GApps zip to internal or external sd card of your phone.
- Boot your phone to Recovery by pressing and holding power + volume up button when phone is switched off.
- Backup your system and data (you can skip,but i recommend not to skip)
- After backup is completed, go to wipe and do factory reset your phone. If you don’t do factory reset ,your phone may stuck in bootloop.
- Go to install, select internal or external storage where you have copied zip files. Select CM12.1 and install it.
- After CM12.1 install is finished, install tkgapps zip.
- Wipe cache/ dalvik and reboot system
Phone will take sometime to boot on its first boot. you have successfully installed Cyanogenmod 12.1 on your Huawei honor 4x.
Stay tuned for Cyanogenmod 12.1 and 13 review. Also stay tuned for installation guide for Cyanogenmod 13 on huawei honor 4x. If you need any help regarding this. Let me know in comments. Review of latest Android 7.1 Lineage OS is coming soon.